Sunday, September 18, 2011

Parenting Samuel

Hello everyone,
I guess I should start by introducing myself.  My name is Kelly, and I am the mother of a 7 year old boy named Samuel.  Samuel always likes making things interesting.  He loves having a consistent schedule, gets distracted very easily, and if things don't go his way, he sometimes throws temper tantrums.  If you haven't already been able to guess, Samuel is one of many kids with Autism.  He knows it doesn't define him.  And I love him for it. 
When I first found out that Samuel had Autism, he was 3.  His development just didn't seem right.  Of course, it was heartrbeaking for me to hear: No one ever wants to hear their son or daughter isn't "normal."  However, the more research I do, the more I realize that children with Autism grow up to be adults with Autism.  And along the way, they get stronger and take more steps.  My hope is that one day, Samuel will be able to live a life where he is happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment